Thursday 10 October 2019

Decorating Efficiency


When I go about decorating my home for any big event, holiday, or season in general, I like to take it one room at a time if at all possible. For me, this allows a sense of progression to happen, and I can feel encouraged to see an entire room complete without feeling overwhelmed as if nothing is done yet despite all the hours I’ve poured into decorating.


Think about it. If you tried tackling your entire house when decorating for the fall or winter holidays, you’d be exhausted after 6 or 7 hours, and you may not have everything done in any particular room. I find this to be discouraging more often than not, and when I get to feeling that way, it makes me want to stop for the day. And when I try to begin again, it feels like a chore and you don’t know where to begin.

So, this is one of the first things I account for when decorating my home. Another big one that happens to be underrated, though, is planning out a schedule for when I’ll actually be decorating. My mom has always gone with a spur of the moment style of putting decor up, but one thing I’ve learned from her is that she takes time off work to make an extended weekend. This directly puts it all on her schedule, meaning there’s no room for “getting out of it” on those days off. Rather than working, she’s decorating, but she views it as a job that should be focused on. Once you’ve scheduled that PTO, you’re far less likely to say “I’ll do it a different day”.


It can’t be understated how beneficial planning things out like this really is. When something is on your calendar, you see it every day and start to internalize it as a definite and concrete plan. This is the natural way of things. But if you let your whimsy guide you and say you’ll decorate eventually, the truth is you may not ever decorate as much as you wanted to.

Another thing that’s absolutely essential is the right packaging supplies. Without the proper packing tape, twine, cardboard boxes for storage, and other materials you may need that go unseen and remain behind the scenes, you’re going to be far less efficient with your time and money spent. So, I encourage you to get quality packaging supplies, even if they only serve to up your storage game in the off season between holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment